Monday, February 04, 2008

A blogger found my poem!

I am so excited! My poem, "Nappy-Headed", was posted on a blog by Blogger member StephClan. Here it is: I came to this world with nappy hair And when I was too young to really care I loved to twirl each curl in my hand And appreciate the texture of every strand. But when I got older I was told That the straightest hair was just like gold. My hair got ironed with a metal comb And the smell of burning grease made me moan. I got a relaxer to run from the smoke, But the pain of my overcooked scalp was no joke. I even tried a Jheri curl to give myself a break But being a target of jokes made my heart ache. Oh, the day I turned my back on chemicals and heat, I felt so free - oh, what a treat! I trimmed off what was left of the damaged mess And saw in the mirror what I thought was success. But society said I had lost my mind And that I would run back to tradition in time. I got the strangest looks everywhere And even loved ones frowned at my nappy hair. I can't get a black brother to take me out for a meal Since my hair lacks European appeal. But when I look at my origin, The continent of Africa, where my ancestors had been And the beauty of the people who live there, I saw nothing wrong with my nappy hair. God gave me this hair So I should not be ashamed It is part of who I am Ain't nothin' wrong with it, I exclaimed. So I will wear my Afro, my twists and my coils! I will not allow my confidence to be soiled. Even if my hair is locked and dreaded, I am proud of being nappy-headed. StephClan's blog, African Descent Hair, is a chronicle of her natural hair journey. I've added her to my blogroll to show my appreciation. Go there and see some of the pictures of her hair, which looks very strong and healthy. You can go to my AuthorsDen page and read the rest of my poems.

1 comment:

Amina said...

beautiful poem! It describes the journey of many women to natural hair. You would surprise at how rampant relaxers are in many African countries. I am the only natural among my friends