Saturday, September 26, 2009

For all the shutterbugs...

I just finished a course in perspective drawing, and I used my digital camera more in the past six weeks than I have all year. Since I completed most of my assignments on 18" x 24" paper and my scanner is only 9" x 12", I had to photograph my work, upload it to my computer, edit it in Photoshop and then turn it in. This usually involved a lot of cropping, desaturating, removing lens distortion, converting to grayscale, etc. There were times when my image needed to be sharpened, and even when I used the Unsharp Mask at the highest level possible, the image still didn't seem sharp enough for my taste. Therefore, I came to the conclusion that in the near future, I will need to upgrade my camera. Don't get me wrong - I love my Sony CyberShot. It's my second digital camera, and it takes great snapshots. However, it is an older model, and I will need to eventually step up my game in order to submit quality work online, especially if I decide to take a photography course. I have found that ShopWiki has a pretty comprehensive list of different types of cameras and links to online stores where you can purchase a camera: digital cameras, dSLR cameras, underwater cameras, and so on. They even have 35mm cameras. Like ShopWiki says, they're not dead yet. One of the things I like about the ShopWiki site is that there is a brief description of each camera type so that you have an idea of what is available. (There is even a list of cameras that are no longer manufactured.) In the list of camera brands, there is a link that you can click on to get a list of the different models, the stores where you can purchase the cameras and the price range. For example, if I decided to get another Sony CyberShot, I can read a description of each type and click on the type that interests me. Let's say I have a lot of extra cash on hand and I decide to spring for the DSC-H5. The site lists 19 stores with a price range of $199 to $889. I can read reviews of each store to see if the store is reliable before I make a purchase. Also, six of those stores are listed as approved by ShopWiki, so I could just shop from those instead of all 19. In addition to the CyberShot, I am also going to check out the Canon PowerShot, the Casio Exilim and the Canon EOS. When I'm ready to purchase a camera, I will probably head over to ShopWiki first so that I can compare prices and possibly purchase a camera from one of the listed stores. The site looks very promising and trustworthy, so I'll be bookmarking it for future reference.

4 comments:

Book Publisher said...

This is an excellent post, I retweet your blog posts alot, I'm definitely a shutterbug :)

Mary said...

Great post - I have to confess I too cannot go anywhere without my Sony CyberShot, such a cool camera! Great minds think alike. Love Mary x

Paul Ancill said...

I came cross your posts by accident and got hooked! Love it!

www.walksindorset.co.uk
Things to do and places to visit in Dorset for free.

african american natural hair growth said...

this is great blog full of great content